200 S. Main
The El Dorado Arms Hotel was completed in 1921. The $500,000 project was financed in part with $150,000 in stock, purchased by 250 El Dorado citizens.
Like many 1920s hotel projects, this one included a theater, designed by the Boller Brothers. The contractor was Reuben Reed, with F. Bergolte as superintendent of construction. The Board of Directors of the El Dorado Hotel and Theatre Company included Robert Hazlett, JB Adams, Robert Bradford, NF Frazier, Clayton Loomis, WB Stone, RY Taliaferro and WR Childs. Among the groups that met at the building were Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions and Chamber of Commerce. Among the dignitaries who visited the hotel was Vice President and Kansas native Charles Curtis, who came on the eve of the 1932 election. The building was remodeled after World War II. In 1966, the hotel was closed. It was purchased in 1969 for the purpose of converting it into apartments – but this took some time to come to fruition. After a series of changes in ownership, the hotel went up for auction in January 1982.
Unfortunately no one bid on it. The building was finally purchased by Bill Skinner and rehabilitated in 1983. The building has offices on the first floor and apartments on the upper floors. The theater, which remains intact, is open for special events. (Butler County Historical Society Vertical Files, El Dorado Times, 16 January 1969; 13 January 1982; 18 January 1982; 22 June 1982)
This is a Late 19th & 20th Century Classical Revival style building.